KCRC By-laws on East Rail surcharge were first introduced in 1991 for the purpose to protect the interests of appropriate fare-paying passengers. A surcharge will be levied on passengers under the following conditions:
1. Adults or students aged 12 to 64 travelling with a concessionary ticket which is only for children and the elderly.
2. Children aged 3 or above travelling without a ticket.
3. Passengers travelling in the First Class without a valid First Class ticket.
4. Passengers travelling without a valid ticket or without ticket.
5. Passengers travelling with a time-expired ticket. (Tickets are only valid for 90 minutes after entry.)
6. Passengers travelling to Lo Wu without following the station instructions to obtain a quota when Lo Wu Ticket Quota System is implemented.