1 March 2003
KCR East Rail launches new single journey tickets on 3 March 2003
 
To tie in with the upgrading of the ticketing system, KCR East Rail is launching four new Single Journey Tickets on 3 March 2003.
Made from a plastic material, the new tickets cover the Standard Class Adult Ticket, Standard Class Concessionary Ticket, First Class Adult Ticket and First Class Concessionary Ticket. These tickets will replace the five existing types of paper tickets and three plastic tickets. The new tickets will feature the new train in a design that will also be used by the future West Rail and East Rail Extensions.
A spokesman for the Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation (KCRC) said that, at present, KCR East Rail has a daily average patronage of 800,000. Octopus is used by 91% of those passengers, while single journey tickets are used by the remaining 9%. More than 70,000 single journey tickets are sold daily, of which 8,000 are paper tickets. The new plastic tickets will be more durable and more environmentally-friendly than paper tickets. Moreover, passengers can enjoy the convenience of buying all four types of single journey tickets at one time from the same ticket machine.
The spokesman added that KCR East Rail will spend $16 million to purchase 38 state-of-the-art Ticket Vending Machines, which will be available in 2003. Of the 38 new Ticket Vending Machines, 12 will have Braille and an audible function to cater for the needs of visually impaired passengers.
After the simplication of ticket types and the introduction of new ticket vending machines, the total number of Ticket Vending Machines at East Rail will also be reduced from 121 machines to 85 machines. The operational efficiency will be much enhanced in the long run.
As part of an awareness programme to publicise the new tickets, posters and leaflets are now up at all East Rail stations. In the first week of the introduction of the new tickets, ‘Ticket Ambassadors’ will be deployed to assist passengers with ticket purchases.
 
To tie in with the upgrading of the ticketing system, KCR East Rail is launching four new Single Journey Tickets on 3 March 2003.
Made from a plastic material, the new tickets cover the Standard Class Adult Ticket, Standard Class Concessionary Ticket, First Class Adult Ticket and First Class Concessionary Ticket.